Update: At least 13 persons dead in Kyekyewere Accident

Update: At least 13 persons dead in Kyekyewere Accident

At least 13 persons have been confirmed dead in a road carnage at the Kyekyewere community stretch on the Accra-Kumasi highway on Tuesday, September 15.

Confirming the reports, the Medical Superintendent of the Suhum Hospital, Dr Kofi Ablorh noted that, out of the 13 dead, six were females and seven  were males.

The dead included a nine-year old, officials of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) have revealed.

At least 50 people were reportedly are injured in the accident on the highway, notorious for road fatalities.

Giving further details, Dr Ablorh explained - as quoted by theghanareport -  that “Two of them had injuries in the abdomen but were stabilised and referred to the Koforidua Regional Hospital. 18 of them were minor injuries so they were seen at the OPD and discharged.”

The accident occured when DAF Cargo Truck believed to be heading towards Burkina Faso on the Kumasi stretch burst a tyre causing the driver to lose control of the steering wheel veering off its lane to crash two buses loaded with passengers from the Kumasi direction heading towards Accra.

The Buses crashed are an STC bus with registration number GE 8131-16 and another Bus with registration Number GT4997 -20.

According to an eyewitness, the tipper truck veered off its lane forcing the other vehicles to run into it.

“I am an okada rider, so I was coming from Esuboi. All of a sudden, I saw the truck switching lanes coming from the Accra end of the road. So the STC driver saw it, applied the brakes and veered off into a nearby gutter. The Yutong driver behind the STC driver didn’t see what was happening on time and crashed into the tipper truck. A lot of the passengers lost their lives.

“We had wanted to help rescue some of the passengers but it was difficult for us. So we quickly called for an ambulance and the police to come in to help. When they came, we were able to rescue some passengers and took them to the hospital. A number of them died on the spot while several others were severely injured.”